Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Herb pikelets with smoked salmon



We had some dear friends over for dinner the other night and I made these pikelets with smoked salmon as hor dourves.
 I'd given my version of devils on horseback too much of a run in the past few weeks and was looking for something that I hadn't made recently.  This was it.
The recipe is from Annabel Langbein's The Free Range Cook, although I added a few more herbs than she suggests.
This recipe makes about 60 small pikelets.  (I froze over half the pikelets)


Ingredients
1.5 cups of plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
1 cup of soda water or chilled water
1 tsp salt
ground black pepper

.5 cup chopped basil, time and rosemary
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
olive oil spray (if needed)

To serve
150 gm sliced smoked salmon
.5 cup sour cream
sprigs of dill


Method

Beat together all the ingredients marked in red above with the exception of herbs and lemon zest, to make a batter. Cover and rest in fridge from 15 minutes to 4 hours.
Once rested, stir in herbs and lemon zest.
Heat a non stick pan on medium and drop about half a tablespoon of batter per pikelet.
Turn once bubbles form in mixture.

Top each pikelet with a small piece of smoked salmon and garnish with a little sour cream and a sprig of dill.

I bought my smoked salmon from the Duthy Street Butcher.   They smoke their own salmon, adding honey. It has a much stronger flavour than the pre-packaged smoked salmon you buy in supermarkets but I love it.











No comments:

Post a Comment