Tuesday, May 05, 2015

Bidding at #auction




I'm fortunate to have a lovely Villaroy and Boch dinner setting (Le Dejeuner) so when a few V&B items came up for auction at Small and Whitfield Auctioneers in Adelaide, I decided to get along to make a bid.  I covet the gravy boat and sandwich platter.  

One of my good friends trawls through the auction lists.  I think it is meditation for her.  Thanks Kez for letting me know about these beauties.




I've never been to an auction before, so I didn't know that I would have to wait hours before the items I wanted to bid on would be auctioned. 



I decided to leave an absentee bid.  I won't know until later today if I was successful.


Like an opportunity shop or a second hand dealer, there's some nice stuff, some stuff that is a bit out of vogue and some stuff I would call ugly.  Although beauty is in the eye of the beholder.


But I  question my motivation.  Why do we need all this stuff?  I'm as guilty as anyone else, but I do wonder what drives us to want more and more?  For me it is about beauty and wanting to capture it. I think.

3 comments:

  1. I saw your comment on My French Country Home. My father used to go often to the Drouot auctions in Paris and I sometimes went with him. So, when we moved to Georgia, we used to go to auctions and bought some antique furniture from old plantations. As you say it is a slow process. I used to take my knitting and wait. I did get some good buys, but now our house is full! As you say why do we need so much stuff – but I am amazed when I see pictures of rooms with nothing on the walls or anywhere else, it lacks character. I am not interested in golf, but I am about your Australian wines. I have bought some very nice vintage before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Vagabonde, thank you so much for visiting and your comments. I will do some posts on wines soon, I promise. As for your blog, I think it looks fantastic. Love the azaleas and will have a much longer visit later today.
      Kind regards,
      Sandra

      Delete
  2. Postscript: I didn't get the gravy boat nor the sandwich platter. I left a bid that was too low, even though it was over the reserve price. Learning, learning, all the time learning.

    ReplyDelete